If you're looking for a hearty homemade non-meat burger with a tasty side dish your search ends here. This recipe is a new favorite of mine courtesy of my dear husband's friend, Yvonne.
Black Bean Burgers with Spicy Mayo
5 whole wheat hamburger buns (1 1/2 to 2 ounces each), split, divided
1 can (about 15 ounces) unsalted black beans, rinsed and well drained
1/2 cup (2 ounces) 2% milk reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese
2 large egg whites
2 green onions, sliced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon chipotle hot pepper sauce
4 lettuce leaves (I used spinach leaves)
4 large thin tomato slices
1. Tear 1 hamburger bun into pieces; place in bowl of food processor. Process until coarse crumbs appear. Transfer to medium bowl (there should be at least 1 cup bread crumbs).
2. Add black beans, cheese, egg whites, green onions, chili powder, oregano and garlic salt to same food processor. Process to thick paste, scraping down sides of bowl once. Add mixture to bread crumbs in bowl; mix well.
3. Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Use 1/2-cup measuring cup to scoop bean mixture. Drop 4 mounds into skillet; press down to form 3 1/2-to 4 inch patties. Cook 4 minutes per side or until browned on each side. Lightly toast remaining hamburger buns, if desired.
4. In small bowl combine mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce. Serve patties in buns with mayonnaise mixture, lettuce (or spinach leaves) and tomato.
Corn and Roasted Red Pepper Rice Salad
1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup roasted red peppers in water, drained and chopped
1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cup cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon cumin
1. Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add garlic and cook 1 minute
2. Add red peppers and corn and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Transfer to large bowl and add cilantro and cooked rice
3. In medium bowl combine dressing ingredients. Toss salad with dressing and refrigerate 1 hour for flavors to blend